WhatsupwithJan

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

WhatsupwithJan

WhatsupwithJan
Wednesday, March 22, 2006--8:24, Arizona Time
Today I enjoyed coffee and a donut with V and a friend. However, while I was there, I began to feel my pants get damp. Soon my two layers of shirts became damp, and I discreetly said it was time to go home. When I got home, I discovered that I was right, my clothes were soaked. I looked and saw that there was really a visible problem with my belly, but I was not too concerned because I WANTED the fluid to drain off! I figured it would stop by itself eventually; however, I thought it best to check with our hospice nurse. Her main concern with the leaking was infection, so she came over with rubber globes, betadine, and gauze. She could not believe that my belly looked like it was 5 months pregnant when we'd just drained 4 liters yesterday. A relative has asked where the fluid comes from; it most likely comes from the liver. The liver spits out fluid into the peritoneum. There is a possibility the cancer cells could be growing in the peritoneum. In any case, we really do not know why the fluid develops. We do know it needs to be drained at certain times to provide comfort and well-being. Sometimes the belly needs to be tapped more frequently, as the fluid increases more frequently. Apparently this is happening to me. The extra fluid is making the jelly belly return and is pushing the fluid out the drain hole. One option when you have to drain frequently is to insert a Denver Drain, a tube which allows you to drain the abdomen without the hospital visit. We discussed the pros and cons of inserting a Denver Drain in the peritoneum. The odds are with the pros, so tomorrow we are going to have a Denver Drain installed and the belly drained again. What I like is that you can tap whenever you need to (comfort!) and the Rebecca can do it right in our living room (convenience). Tomorrow around noon we will get the belly drained again and the drain installed. BTW, I picked up my glasses this afternoon. Now if I could just manage to keep from falling on my face again!!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Mrs. Mac said…

    I vote for the drain. Not that my vote counts. We had a little "pool plug" g-tube put in our son when he needed tube feedings ... made life easier while it was needed. Hope all goes well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home